Skip to content Where Legends Are Made
Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinic Apply to UA Make a Gift

Housing Assistance

Below is a list of agencies and programs that help families afford housing. Use the contact information provided for each program for more information or to apply for benefits. For more information about the programs listed in this document or to inquire about additional resources, contact the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) local office at:

Mr. Kenneth E. Free, Birmingham Field Office
950 22nd Street North, Suite 900
Birmingham, AL 35203

Phone: (205) 731-2617; Fax: (205) 731-2593

Government Housing Assistance Programs

The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) helps low-income individuals and families afford housing by providing rental assistance, helping to stop evictions, and helping pay security deposits for new low-income homes and apartments. They also offer rental vouchers (Section 8 Housing and Rental Choice).

Phone: 205-758-4997

Below are several housing units in West Alabama that accept housing vouchers. Contact the facility using the phone number listed for additional information about how to submit an application for housing.

Greene County
301 Carver Circle Eutaw, Alabama 35462
Phone: (205) 372-3926Fax: (205) 372-0484
Fayette County
405 6th Street SW Fayette, AL 35555
Phone: (205) 932-6250Fax: (205) 932-6252
Tuscaloosa County Housing Authority

2808 10th Ave. Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401

Phone: (205) 758-6619

Fax: (205) 758-5099

Tuscaloosa County

3500 West Circle #39 Northport, AL 35476

Phone: (205) 752-8171

Fax: (205) 345-1506

The Tuscaloosa Continuum of Care Group (West Alabama Coalition for the Homeless) partners with HUD to coordinate services for the homeless individuals by connecting them with organizations who can provide direct services to the individuals in need.

Contact Person: Ms. LaShonda Hayes, President
Address: P.O. Box 2947 Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
Phone: 205-759-8470
Fax: 205-366-9001

The Housing Authority of Tuscaloosa runs both Section 8 Vouchers and Public Housing. Rent is paid based on a family’s yearly income amount. They are given a rental/housing voucher based on certain factors that influence income, such as household size. Residents can remain in their housing unit as long as they continue to meet Section 8 rules and income qualifications and regulations.

Phone: 205-758-6619

The Tuscaloosa Housing Counseling Program is also affiliated with HUD. This organization helps with buying houses, rental assistance, applying for Section 8 Vouchers, equal opportunity housing, etc.

Phone: 205-349-4630

The Housing-HUD Counselor and Budget Counselors of Tuscaloosa offer housing alternatives such as budgeting support and credit services rather than finding low-rent options or arranging vouchers. They work with non-profit agencies in the community to provide these services, which are listed below.

WestSide Community Developmental Counsel

Phone: 205-562-3215

Community Service Programs

Phone: 205-758-4756

 Northport Housing Authority

Phone: 205-752-8171

 Tuscaloosa Housing Counseling Program

Phone: 205-349-4630

Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Alabama

Phone: 1-800-662-6119

Habitat for Humanity

Phone: 205-349-4620

The Community Service Programs of West Alabama Housing and Apartment Rentals (CSP) is a non-profit organization that provides safe, affordable housing to local working families who are low-income or with special needs. CSP accepts Section 8 Vouchers, offers housing rehabilitation services, and provides utility assistance. They also connect families with local agencies and churches for additional aid.

Phone: 205-752-5429

The Salvation Army Center of Hope offers rental assistance and provides temporary shelter including drop-in centers for homeless individuals and homeless shelters for families, men, single moms, and women.

Phone: 205-632-3691
Location: 1035 29th St. Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Local and/or Non-Profit Housing Assistance Services

The Salvation Army of Tuscaloosa offers emergency financial assistance to qualifying low income families and individuals facing eviction. Applicants are required to make an appointment for consultation on available aid.

Phone: 205-758-2804
Location: 2902 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

United Way’s Helpline provides information and referrals to emergency aid, which can include loans for rent, furniture, and more from local churches and charities in your specific region of Alabama.

Phone: 2-1-1
Location: 2720 6th Street Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

The Catholic Social Services of West Alabama provides rental assistance and possibly short-term transitional shelter. Applicants should call to schedule a phone interview to request rental assistance Monday – Thursday between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM. The rental assistance form can be found online.

Phone: 205-759-1268
Location: 608 37th Street East, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Tuscaloosa Cares offers housing assistance to eligible applicants. To apply, call Monday – Friday from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Applications are available online, as well.

Phone: 3-1-1 or 205-248-5080
Location: 2201 University Blvd., Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.

Legal Services of Tuscaloosa County are a group of attorneys who offer free advice on preventing evictions, ensure safe housing for families in need, engage in mediation to help prevent homelessness, and partner with charities to fund rental costs.

Phone: 205-758-7503
Location: 2315 9th Street Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Other legal services that offer free legal advice on possible evictions can be obtained from:

  • The Volunteer Lawyer Program: (800) 392-5660
  • University of Alabama School of Law: (205) 348-4960
  • Legal Services: (205) 758-7503
  • Dent Transitional Program Cottondale: (205) 765-4591; Location: 15769 Thomas Chapel Road